Monday, March 30, 2009

Verses that struck me tonight

Alina fell asleep early and, having had a short nap today, I had the energy to ready the Bible (thanks Steve and Jenny for the gift). I am currently reading Romans, having finished Acts on the plane over here. These three verses "came to me" as I was reading today, although we really know that they didn't just come to me or pop into my head. God pointed them out to me as a gentle reminder. So, here they are.

Acts 2.4 - the Holy Spirit descends on the crowd in the form of flames and the people speak in tongues. Before we left for the first trip (I think - maybe the second - things are a bit foggy) I remember telling Dean Warner that I was concerned about how I would communicate with Alina. Not only would I not speak her language but I'm not nearly as comforting and compassionate as Anne. I had read this recently and while worrying about this very issue I realized that God would provide for our communication. Well, tonight I thought about this again. The most obvious is that Irina, our translator, is with me right now. Normally she would have gone home until the passports were ready, but since they could come in quickly it didn't make sense for her to go. So, I literally have been provided with the ability to speak in Alina's "tongue" through Irina. Less obvious, but more telling of God's power, was Irina's comment today that Alina understands me. Whether it be the gestures I'm using or the tone of my voice, I am able to communicate with her. Irina is sure of this because she said usually the child will look to her because she speaks the language, but Alina comes to me instead. God provided for me for sure.

James 1.27 - I'm not reading James right now, and never have, but I have read this verse. It discusses that in God's eyes the only "pure religion" is looking after orphans and widows. I "happened" to flip to this page tonight when I sat down. I'm using it as God's little shot in the arm of adrenaline for this home stretch.

Romans 5.3-4. We can REJOICE in our suffering because it brings perserverance. Perserverance bring character. Character brings hope. There have been many twists, turns, and frustrations, especially while in Ukraine for both Anne and I. If I keep this verse in mind it will make it much easier the rest of the way when these things come up. God's way of saying "keep your chin up."

So, I feel very rejuvenated tonight. I'm ready for the rest of the week and think things will go very well.

To my family - I love you all very much and miss you. Alina and I are coming home soon.

3 comments:

orphans4me said...

I am so glad you will be home soon. I know your family will be excited, too.
Joy,RR

Sarah said...

Glad you'll be home soon. My cousin that adopted a little boy last month mentioned some of the very same verses recently.

Jenny Williams said...

You are such a blessing to all of us. Isn't God just tremendous at providing all that we need just when we need it most? You ministered to us in so many ways because of this post. Keep pressing into him and he will never let you down! Can't wait to see you both.