Well we had our official appointment with the State Department today. We got up about 9 am, got ready and headed to the restaurant right by our apartment. We had crepe like pancakes for breakfast (as well as some VERY strong coffee!). Irina, our translator met us there at 11 am. About 11:30 Anatoly picked us up and we headed to the SDA. We arrived and waited in a very small corridor that had some steps up to where our appointment actually was. We stood there and waited, and waited, for what felt like a very long time, but I am sure was only a few minutes. Finally they called for us. Todd, Irina and myself headed into a small room. A woman, Anna, introduced herself (through Irina) and asked us how we had learned of this child and why we wanted to adopt. We told her we learned of her through the Green Family who have adopted from the same orphanage last year and we wanted to adopt because we already have a daughter with Downs and can't wait to love another. Then she said the child they have for us is "Natalya"... and we got a little nervous because that is not the child we came to adopt!!! So Irina explained that were were hoping to adopt Alina and after a few discussions back and forth with Anna, and another few minute wait, which felt like FOREVER, they came back in and gave us a referral for Alina. They told us she was born to a single mom, left at birth, and has some possible complications with her one eye (it might be a "lazy eye" which is very common in kids with Down Syndrome) as well as a chest issue... which I am thinking is probably the same little issue that Meg has... so again, nothing concerning or alarming! We were very excited!! So we will hopefully head to her region on Wed morning and get to meet her on Wed afternoon!! We should also know by the end of the week when our court date is (say some prayers for next Thursday, any later than that will delay our trip home)
After our appointment we met up with two other American Families who are here adopting kids with Down Syndrome... the Powell's and the Dickinson's. Irina spent the afternoon with all of us, taking us to museums and out to dinner. It was a wonderful day, full of new sites and new friends to share this journey with!!
Tomorrow we are planning to meet with a man who runs an orphanage here that our friend Dana is connected with. We are going to give him some of the many blankets and toys that were donated by the kids in Elmwood. We will save the rest of their donations to take to Alina's orphanage. After that meeting we plan to meet back up with our new friends and see some more sites! Both of the other families have their SDA appointments tomorrow, so we are praying for good things for them both!
We talked to the kids over skype last night... that was hard, but great to see them. However it only makes me miss them more, which I didn't think was possible. I had to end the call quickly, so that Caleb (who had a quivering lip when it was time to say goodbye) didn't see me crying!! :( If you are reading this in Elmwood, could you please give them an extra hug for us when you see them!!!
More tomorrow... God bless and goodnight (I realize it is only morning there, but it is nighttime here!!!)
Monday, March 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
Praise God that you were able to get Alina's referral...I can just feel your initial anxiety and I'm so glad it worked out. I also can imagine how hard it must be to see on the screen your little ones, so far away. I hope it helps them to see you atleast and know you are thinking of them. (I'm dreading that part) They say its over before you know it and of course, its worth it. God will take care of them as He's called them to this adoption as well. We're praying for you all and so excited for you to finally meet your little girl!
love,
the Adamsons
Awww. I'm glad everything worked out with Alina. And oh, that Caleb and his darn little lip...just too cute for his own good. I'm sure you guys will be back before you know it! Good luck along the way!
-Desirae
My heart skipped a beat when I read Natalya ... that just didn't sound right. I'm glad they were able to give you Alina's referral!
Amanda-Adopting Ean and Mila
Post a Comment