Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday, March 30 - Passport applied for

Yesterday (Sunday) was a pretty uneventful day in terms of the adoption process. We did do some sightseeing with the Dicknisons and DJ. What feels old in the US would feel pretty new here. It was no big deal for our driver to tell us about this statue or that archway having been built in the 16th century. Then he showed us the Greek pillars that commemorate the Greek city here built in 1500BC. It's name sounds very similar to "Odessa", hence the current name of the city. My point is, what we think of as old, say the Civil War or even the Revolutionary War, is only a fraction of the history contained in cities like Odessa, or all over Europe for that matter. Amazing.

Alina had buckwheat and a chicken breast at lunch Sunday. I didn't realize a little girl could eat so much. There's no such thing as child-sized portions in the restaurants, so she got the adult version and nearly polished off the whole thing. I think I need to start giving her some more substantial meals.

DJ left Sunday night. It was nice being with he and Reece. Alina was fascinated with Reece and kept bringing her toys and giving hugs. DJ and I have had similar experiences here, so it was great to be able to talk about everything (the experience in the country, missing our families, etc.). I'm excited that he's going home by mid-week. We hope to have a reunion with them sometime. Maybe we should invite them to Elmwood this summer. Tell people "these are our friends who are moving to Elmwood. They have two kids with Down Syndrome, too." Keep up the exponential growth of the Down Syndrome population in town. :)

This morning, Monday, Alina and I went to apply for her passport. She sat nicely for her picture. Then it was a quick cab ride back home. I want to get her back to her schedule of taking an afternoon nap. After lunch (a very messy experience with mac and cheese) we tried Alina in the shower for the first time. The bath two days ago didn't go well, and now showers aren't a big hit either. I guess it is something we'll have to work on. Still, she's clean from head to toe.

It's nap time. Hopefully she remembers what that means. I hope I don't fall asleep before she does...the apartment would be in grave danger.

Pakka.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I'm so glad you and DJ got to be together for part of this. What a blessing that is!

Nika HATED the bath/shower too. We *think* it was because they are used to being bathed in cold water to save on electric bills. Grr. Once she realized that the water was warm and that she was safe, she got better. Try showing her outside of the tub "warm water Alina" and just let her play with the water falling from the spicket. That might help her, it helped Nika. ;)