Thursday, March 26, 2009

Alina is coming home.

What a crazy day.

I woke up with a cough, the byproduct of all of my traveling. Then Irina found out that the court decree won't be ready until Friday, the eleventh day after court, so our trip to Izmayl seemed unnecessary. I figured I would get lots of fresh air (it is a beautiful spring day here) after playing with Alina in the morning and then take some cough medicine and get a great night's sleep in preparation for our trip on Friday.

The trip to the orphanage started with a visit to the principal to deliver the blankets that Katie Brown's class made. In all, Elmwood students provided blankets for over half of the kids in the orphanage. As always, I am humbled by the warmth and generosity of our students. Elmwood is a great place with great people. I went to play with Alina. At first she looked at me with a puzzled look (as all of the other kids ran at me screaming "Papa, Papa."). Recognition then flashed across her face and she gave a response very similar to Meg's when Anne and I got home last week. She shoved some kids out of the way and jumped into my arms. I cried a bit while she buried her head in my chest. Fortunately we got to play with her little groupa friend who is being adopted by an Ukrainian family (we posted a pic of them previously). It was a good visit.

As I was walking out of the groupa Irina met me and said I needed to sign some paperwork with the principal. As I was doing this she explained that he was going to let us (the Dickinson's, too) take our children TONIGHT! I had a little bit of a "IT'S A CONTRACTION, START THE CAR" moment. I had gotten myself out of the frame of mind of having Alina today. Now, and very quickly, I had to get myself back into it.

Irina dropped me off at the children's store to buy some little girl underwear (they said they didn't think Alina would allow me to put diapers on her - a new source of stress for me). I then ran into the market for one last look and a little plastic potty, since I would be needing that now (she's not used to regular toilets - too big). Back to the hotel to get Alina's clothes ready and childproof the room. Skype and email and then off to the orphanage to get Alina.

Stopped with Irina at the children's store to by pj's because I hadn't planned on being here tonight. Also picked up some tights, which turned out to be a good thing.

At the orphanage I went with the doctor directly to Alina's groupa. Got all of the kids lined up while they dressed her. I had brought socks and shoes, jeans, a turtleneck, sweater, coat and hat. They looked at me like I was crazy. They pointed to the tights she had been wearing, as though any idiot father knows that little girls have to wear tights under their jeans. Like I said, fortunately I had just purchased tights, so I pulled those out and they put them on her. Alina looked very cute (pics in post below) and LOVED her light-up shoes. She showed them off to the whole groupa. Stomp and light. Stomp and light. Stomp and light and giggle. Quick goodbyes and I was ushered out. No fanfare, really. Don't know what I expected. Went to see the principal to say goodbye and Irina sent me off to the car while she finished paperwork.

At this point Alina and I were leaving the orphanage for potentially the last time. The only way it could happen again is if we/she ever wants to come back, and then it is just a visit. Pretty serious thoughts. I held her tight and she did the same. Once on the driveway to the gate I put her down and she took off towards the gate. It was like she knew where to go to leave and was more than ready to do so. Some pics are below.

The car ride to the restaurant found Alina totally motionless and squeezing my thumb. At the restaurant she at very little as she had only been up from her nap for about an hour and had snacked. She sat patiently and really enjoyed drinking juice from a little espresso cup. I asked her to say more and signed it for her. The first time she signed it right back to me. The next time SHE SAID “MORE”! Igor, Irina’s husband picked up on it, too, and was very excited.

Back at the hotel the wonderful girls who work here showered Alina with affection. In the room she promptly returned to her active ways. She explored everything. She particularly liked the closet/armoire with the sliding mirror doors. Not only could she see herself, but she kept opening the doors and climbing inside. She also found it particularly fun to try to throw the lamp on the floor. After wearing my shoes for a bit, she found her favorite thing of all – jumping on the bed. And, yes, I let her do it. I maybe even encouraged it.

We Skyped Anne at Easter Seals (and got to say hi to Micki, too). Alina kept looking behind the computer to see where Anne was. She then started to attack the wires so we ended the call.

At 8:00pm, right on schedule, Alina and I climbed into bed. She wasn’t quite ready, but I just threw my arm over her and cuddled her. She wrestled me for a bit, but calmed down and eventually fell asleep. She’s just as mobile in her sleep as she is when awake, so I got kicked quite a bit. I finally figured out that I needed to position pillows around her, much like a crib, to give her some boundaries. Everything is good now.

We eat breakfast at 8:00am and then jump in the car for Odessa. If all goes well tomorrow, we will be able to apply for the passport and I have a shot at coming home the following weekend. If not, I will be here into Spring Break. Fingers are crossed and I’m praying for everything to go smoothly.

Pakka.

3 comments:

Tina Ramirez said...

I was so pleased to read an update. I bet she was just sooo excited to see you.

Sarah said...

Great update {sniffle}.

Our Story: Continued said...

She's so precious!! I'm glad she's with you and we are praying for that passport to arrive QUICKLY so you can begin your lives as a family of 6 (ya'll are NUTS!!) I'm kidding! :)

Thanks for teaming up with DJ for a few days! It makes me feel better knowing he's got another adult to keep him company.